Saturday, February 23, 2008

New Design



This is a design I created myself for a new baby blanket. I completed the project in the middle of January. This one took several months to complete due to lack of free time. I used Caron yarn in sage green. It took about 3.5 skeins of the 5 ounce size. Using a size 9 needle, I cast on 134 stitches. I knit about 2.5 inches of seed stitch for the bottom border. Four the next 4 inches, I knit the blanket in stockinette stitch. The outer 14 stitches in each side are done in the seed stitch in order to create the border. After 4 inches, I knit the stripe pattern. The directions are:
Knit 5 rows in seed stitch
Row 6, 14 stitches of seed stitch, then *yo, kn2 tog until the last 14 stitches, which are done in seed stitch.
Row 7, seed stitch for first and last 14 stitches, knit all other stitches.
Row 8, same as row 6
Row 9, same as row 7
Row 10, same as row 6
Row 11, seed stitch first and last 14 stitches. For all stitches in between, use the seed stitch, but knit all purl stitches and purl all knit stitches (if you did a regular seed stitch in between the first and last 14 stitches, the 3rd row of lace closes up; this cheat actually opens up the lacework).
Rows 12, 13, 14, 15, seed stitch accross.
Continue alternating sections of the lace pattern with 4 inches of stockinette stitch until there are 5 internal rows of stripes (one running through the center of the blanket).


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheri, I am going to try this pattern next for my projects. I will be changing the stockinette stitches to trinity stiches with the seed and lacey pattern in between. I really enjoy the different colors that you use! I will let you know how it turns out. Thank you for sharing.
Sincerely, Jane